Become a part of the RBNC Team!
Job Description: Field Guide/Docent
Reports to: Office Manager/ Docent Coordinator and Education Coordinator
The Field Guide/ Docent position is a part-time non-exempt position. The position is responsible for conducting educational programs and tours for visiting school children and groups, delivering programs at various sites away from the facility and providing the general public with a learning experience during their visit to our facility.
Description of Organization: River Bend Nature Center (RBNC) in Wichita Falls, Texas is a twenty-acre, private 501 c(3) non-profit environmental education facility that serves the communities of North Texas and southeastern Oklahoma. Uniquely placed in a conflux of geographical regions, River Bend connects people to their natural environment through educational activities, environmental awareness, and conservation examples. RBNC recognizes that education is a fundamental tool for preserving the environment and the personal health of a community.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend field guide/docent training courses to learn educational materials and programs
- Conduct educational programs for school children and groups
- Interpret exhibits and facility history to visitors
- Maintain living exhibits habitats and feeding schedules
- Maintain facility cleanliness, safety, and positive presentation appearance
- Maintain accurate records as requested, including preparation of any needed report
- High School graduate, at least some college credit preferred
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills in one-on-one and in groups.
- Experience working with children in a learning environment preferred
- Maintains an excellent work ethic at all times
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekdays, weekends, and some evenings
- Interest in working with the public including children and adults
- Willingness to learn materials, rules, exhibits and history of facility
- Interest in the environment, ecology, and natural history
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
First Aid certification is highly recommended
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear in person. The employee is required to walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to climb or balance and stoop and kneel. The employee may be required to lift and or move up to 30 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must predominantly work in the out-of-doors regardless of existing weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
No smoking is permitted on the organization’s grounds.
$13 per hour
Mail applications to River Bend Nature Center, P.O. Box 3674 Wichita Falls TX, 76310 or drop them off at RBNC.